Iowa Safe Schools is actively seeking candidates to join our team! Read the job descriptions below.
GSA Network Coordinator
Location: Des Moines, Iowa (Required)
Job Type: Full-time (40 hours/week)
Compensation: $40,000-$45,000 annually
Benefits: Generous vacation package (20 days), 10 paid holidays, paid birthday off, retirement match, excellent health and dental coverage
Department: Youth Engagement
Anticipated Start Date: September 1, 2021
Iowa Safe Schools is a growing non-profit organization focused on creating safe, supportive, and nurturing learning environments and communities for LGBTQ youth. The GSA Network Coordinator will work within the Youth Engagement team to support LGBTQ youth in schools and communities.
Key responsibilities of this position include supporting Gay-Straight Alliances/Gender Sexuality Alliances (GSAs) in K-12 schools across the state. This position will work with the Youth Engagement Team in developing resources, services, and supports for GSAs. The candidate for this position will also be required to understand the barriers facing LGBTQ youth and work to reduce the issues impacting students.
- Provide support to LGBTQ student organizations in the state
- Present to different conferences, schools, and organizations as requested
- Support the Student Leadership Council, a group of LGBTQ youth student leaders
- Engage with community members and agencies to support systems change
- Assist in organizing the Annual Iowa Governor’s Conference on LGBTQ Youth
- Collaborate with victim service organizations in providing support for victims of bullying
- Organize GSACon and other GSA related events to help support student organizations
- Promote Iowa Safe Schools events, resources, and support available to students
- Partner with local community organizations to support LGBTQ youth
- Assist in organizing the College/Career Expos
- Assist in organizing Pride Camp and other Pride Camp events, a week-long LGBTQ youth summer camp program
- Visit GSAs across the state
- Advocate for LGBTQ students in their schools and communities
- Serve as a representative of the LGBTQ community to stakeholders
- Perform other duties as assigned
An ideal candidate will have the following experience and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field such as Education, Gender Studies, Psychology, History, Political Science, Social Work, etc.
- Knowledge and understanding of culturally specific needs of LGBTQ youth
- Experience in victim advocacy is preferred
- Excellent writing, public communication, and speaking skills
- Proven ability to develop collaborative relationships
- Passion about supporting a marginalized population including trans* and LGBTQ youth of color
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access, and Outlook
- Willingness to travel up to 15 days a month
- Willingness to work weekends and evenings
- Social media savvy
- Support the mission of Iowa Safe Schools
- Ability and means to travel on a flexible schedule as needed, proof of liability and property damage insurance on vehicle used is required
The ideal candidate will be:
- Committed to social justice and enthusiastic about Iowa Safe Schools’ mission and programs
- Well-organized, able to multi-task, a fast learner, and detail-oriented
- Able to take initiative and to work well under pressure to meet deadlines
- Flexible and able to function independently and as a member of a team
- Due to the volume of applicants, we are unable to respond to each individual. Please do not call or email with questions
- Trans, non-binary individuals are encouraged to apply
- Persons of color are encouraged to apply
- Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis. If you are interested in the position you are strongly encouraged to apply immediately.
Please send a resume, cover letter, two writing samples and a one-page response to the below question to email@example.com with a subject of GSA Network Coordinator. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Please do not email links including Google Docs.
Response Question: Why are you passionate about supporting LGBTQ youth?