You can make a difference by joining the staff of Iowa Safe Schools! Iowa Safe Schools has a dynamic staff of dedicated individuals from diverse backgrounds working to change lives and impact social justice issues that affect our community.
Iowa Safe Schools is dedicated to diversity and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. People of color, women, people living with HIV and AIDS, transgender individuals and all others are encouraged to apply for employment opportunities.
Iowa Campus Coalition Coordinator
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Job Type: Full-time
Reports to: Executive Director
Compensation: $35,000-$40,000 annually
Benefits: Generous vacation package, health and dental coverage
Application Deadline: January 31, 2018
Desired Start Date: April 1, 2018
- Provide support to LGBTQ college organizations in the state
- Present to different conferences, schools, and organizations as requested
- Assist in the creation of the LGBTQ Local College Access Network (LCAN) which will analyze data and other barriers impacting LGBTQ youth from completing higher education
- Assist in organizing the Annual Iowa Governor’s Conference on LGBTQ Youth
- Organize the Queer College Conference which will be a statewide conference for LGBTQ college and university students
- Collaborate with victim service organizations in providing support for victims of crime including bullying, sexual assault, domestic violence, and stalking
- Partner with local community organizations to support LGBTQ youth
- Organize and network LGBTQ college organizations in the state
- Advocate for LGBTQ college students in their schools and communities
- Develop a program model for the Iowa Campus Coalition, a new initiative to provide direct services to LGBTQ college students in their schools and communities
- Serve as a representative of the LGBTQ community to stakeholders
- Perform other duties as assigned
An ideal candidate will have the following experience and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field such as Education, Gender Studies, Psychology, History, Political Science, Social Work, etc.
- Knowledge and understanding of culturally specific needs of LGBTQ youth
- Experience in victim advocacy is preferred
- Excellent writing, public communication, and speaking skills
- Proven ability to develop collaborative relationships
- Passion about supporting a marginalized population including trans* and LGBTQ youth of color
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access, and Outlook
- Willingness to travel up to 10 days a month
- Willingness to work weekends and evenings
- Social media savvy
- Support the mission of Iowa Safe Schools
- Ability and means to travel on a flexible schedule as needed, proof of liability and property damage insurance on vehicle used is required
The ideal candidate will be:
- Committed to social justice and enthusiastic about Iowa Safe Schools’ mission and programs
- Well-organized, able to multi-task, a fast learner, and detail-oriented
- Able to take initiative and to work well under pressure to meet deadlines
- Flexible and able to function independently and as a member of a team
Trans and LGBTQ persons of color are encouraged to apply.
This is a grant funded position.
Please send a resume, cover letter, and two writing examples from the past year to firstname.lastname@example.org with a subject of Iowa Campus Coalition Coordinator. Writing examples can include papers, letters to the editor, and websites.
Selected candidate will be subject to a background check.
Please do not call or email with questions. Click Here for a PDF download of this job description.